Monday, October 09, 2006

Hindi at restaurant. Mon, Oct 9, 2006.

10/09/2006. 731. On my way home from meeting the ESL teacher at her church, I passed a chain restaurant and felt inspired to stop there for a drink. I had to go down to the next intersection and turn around, and ended up making a detour into a drug store looking for something else before going back.

I got there just before closing and got something quick and a drink. I supposed the man behind the counter was the owner, and guessed that he was from India. When he handed me the food I said "Thank-you" in Hindi, and that elicited a smile from him. We chit-chatted a bit, and I offered him a Hindi Book of Mormon, and he accepted.

I went out to the car to retrieve it, and brought back in an English copy too. At first he only wanted the Hindi, but I pressed the English copy just a little bit, so that he could use the pair to teach Hindi to his children, and then he accepted it. I'm sure he and his whole family are 100% fluent in English, but having both languages will help his family keep the Hindi language alive if they read them.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home