Friday, September 29, 2006

Yoruba at African store. Fri, Sep 29, 2006.

09/29/2006. 727. A little variety store near a corner has been there for years, but only today did I drive close enough to see the word "African" as part of the lettering on the front window. I decided to stop in. It was a small food, clothing, and variety stype store. A very nice lady from Nigeria was the clerk, and I assume the owner too. I shopped a little, and bought some stuff that I like.

She spoke Yoruba, and she helped me with some pronunciation of some words that I picked up from a multi-media language CD. I offered her the Sunday school manual (Gospel Fundamentals) in Yoruba and English, and she was enthusiastic about receiving it. I took my purchases out to the car, and brought back in the Yoruba and English Gospel Fundamentals.

She expressed interest in attending church, so I pointed out the Mission Office phone number, and also wrote down the sister missionaries' phone number.

This store is close to where the sister missionaries live. I'll give them this info for a follow-up, and give them a couple dollars to purchase something.

2 Comments:

At 9/30/2006 03:20:00 PM, Blogger Bookslinger said...

It's been years since I've been to a missionary fireside.

Try asking your full-time missionaries what other wards do. Or call your mission office and get suggestions from them.

My only suggestion is to have snacks afterward, and make sure some of them are healthy. I hate it when there's nothing but sugary junk to eat.

 
At 9/30/2006 04:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was a Stake Missionary, we had a missionary-themed sacrament meeting. The idea was about sharing the light and helping others receive it. Instead of harping on obligations to approach people, we had born-in church, long-time convert, recent convert, and selected current investigator share their conversion stories as a way of reawakening in people the joy each felt when their heart was turned.

The meeting was touching for both investigators and for members because it removed the barriers between the groups, helping nonmembers see that the members had very common experiences -- "it's safe, you'll like it also" -- and reminding members that they still were on the same path as not-yet-members.

Likewise, one of my favorite Christmas programs was 6 years ago in the Crestridge Ward, Palos Verdes Stake. Their choir sang 9 different selections from Handel's "Messiah," in between which a different member would speak for about 5 minutes on the birth of Christ -- in their own life. It was a tender, spiritual, at-one-ment for those present.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home