Monday, June 26, 2006

Moment #628. Amharic on way to gym. Mon, Jun 26, 2006.

06/26/2006. I was driving to the gym and I passed an Ethiopian-looking man who was walking on the sidewalk. I got the feeling that I should talk to him. I tried to convince myself not to, as it would be awkward to approach him, but the feeling didn't go away. I drove to the gym, but turned around, and eventually drove to the other side of the parking lot near the street. The man started to walk through the parking lot, as if taking a shortcut to the side street. Therefore, I could conveniently pull alongside. It was not as awkward as I had thought.

I asked if he spoke Amharic, and he said yes. I asked if he had a minute, and he said okay. I offered him free books from church, and he was interested, so I said I'd park the car and show him. I then pulled ahead a few feet into a lined parking space.

I got out of my car, and first handed him an Amharic New Testament. He was interested, and then I got Amharic and English Books of Mormon from the trunk. We chatted a little bit, and then he went on his way to catch a ride with someone to his workplace.

I was still shaking a bit with excitement as I walked into the gym. The feeling of urgency that I had of the necessity of contacting him weighed upon me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home