Thursday, August 12, 2010

Chinese at restaurant. Thu, Aug 12, 2010.

08/12/2010. 1246. I was in a nearby town, and stopped at a Chinese buffet restaurant for supper. The last time I remember going to that restaurant was September 2004. So I was pretty sure they would have had a turnover of waitresses since then.

I put a Chinese (simplified script) copy and an English copy of the Book of Mormon on my table while I ate and read the newspaper.

When the waitress came by to retrieve a used plate, she noticed the books, and I asked if she liked to read Chinese. She was genuinely interested in them and appeared to be excited to see a book in Chinese. She asked how much they were, and I said "mien FAY" (free) and "GAY knee" (I give you). She was very excited to receive the Chinese copy and she politely declined the English, indicating she couldn't read it. At that point, I opened both books to 1 Nephi 1:1, and put my index fingers on each copy, and read the verse in English while I moved my fingers under the verse in each book. It then dawned on her that she might be able to use the pair of books to learn to read English. At least I hope, because she then graciously accepted the English copy too.

Hopefully, the church will publish parallel-column bi-lingual copies in Chinese/English, Swahili/English, etc. And the idea of using the Book of Mormon to learn English (or another language) will be more obvious.

When I paid later, I offered the cashier the same books as I gave the waitress (I brought in 2 copies of each). But she was fluent in English, and politely declined.

I have to give the Lord credit on this one, because I sincerely believe my trip to that town was inspired, a spiritual prompting. That's the only reason I went. I hope I'm not saying that to brag, but to give credit to the Lord, and illustrate that He knows where everyone is, and who is ready to receive a gospel seed. If you're willing to make a delivery, He's willing to give you an assignment.

See next post for a gas stop on the same trip.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home