Monday, August 09, 2010

Hebrew at grocery store, missed op. Mon, Aug 9, 2010.

08/09/2010. Journal entry. Missed opportunity. At the grocery store, I heard two young caucasaian ladies speaking a foreign language. I turned around and politely asked what language they were speaking. One of them said Hebrew.

I thought that was so cool since they were the first people I've encountered locally who were speaking Hebrew. There is a sizeable Jewish immigrant population in Indy, but that group is Russian. I didn't ask, but I assumed these ladies were from Israel.

The church doesn't have anything in Hebrew that I'm aware of. There used to be a Hebrew edition of the Book of Mormon, but it's out of print, and used copies go for over $100. Rumor has it that pulling the Hebrew edition BoM off the market was one of Israel's conditions to allow the church to put a BYU branch in Jerusalem.

I couldn't think of any material to offer, so I just smiled and said "That's cool. Welcome to America!" But in hind-sight I still could have given them a pass-along card and one of my personal calling cards.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 8/10/2010 12:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, it sounds like they spoke English as well. You could have given them an English copy of the Book of Mormon. Well, just learn and have one with you for the next time this happens for you.

 
At 8/10/2010 02:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Almost anyone you could meet in the U.S that speaks hebrew is probably fluent in English. Education in Israel is Bilingual Hebrew/English. If you are in a similar situation give an English Book of Mormon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home