Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Chinese at Restaurant. Tue, Mar 20, 2007.

03/20/2007. 805. I went to a Chinese restaurant not far from where I now live. It's in a shopping district that is convenient. Since it is within reasonable distance, and I figured I'd be back, I decided to try a recently new approach and offer material on the second visit. But I did take in the current Liahona magazine in English to read.

After eating and paying the waitress, I started to leave, and the hostess/cashier was at the cashier counter. I read something on the wall in the lobby that caught my attention, and decided to go back and strike up a conversation with the hostess/cashier.

I found out that the staff is from various places China and Hong Kong, and they speak both main dialects, Mandarin and Cantonese. The hostess spoke Mandardin and her husband spoke both Mandarin and Cantonese, so I offered the couples video "Together Forever" to her since it has a Cantonese audio track. She said she didn't have time to watch it, so I asked if she liked to read. She said she did, so I offered her the Book of Mormon in Chinese and English. I didn't say it was the Book of Mormon, but I did say it was from my church, and that it was Christian.

She agreed to see the book, so I went out to my car and retrieved three copies of the Book of Mormon, one each in Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, and English. I also brought in a "Finding Happiness" DVD and a "Together Forever" DVD, just to show her the cover. She accepted all three books, plus the "Finding Happiness" DVD, which is only five minutes.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home