Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Chinese, English at restaurant. Wed, Oct 25, 2006.

10/25/2006. 741. An errand took me to the East side of town in the late afternoon, and I decided to look for a new restaurant to try. I found a Chinese buffet restaurant that I haven't been to before.

The waitress made it very easy. Shortly after I placed a bilingual Chinese/English New Testament, English and Chinese (both simplified script [catalog suffix -266] and traditional script [suffix -265] ) Books of Mormon on the table, she came by, put her finger on the title of the simplified script copy, and said something in Chinese. I said something like "They're free. Would you like one?" but we didn't seem to communicate. I picked up the Simplified script, the English, and the NT, and presented them to her like a gift, and she gratefully accepted them. The cashier/hostess stopped by and helped translate, and confirmed to the waitress that they were free.

The cashier then asked for an English copy. I asked if she wanted a Chinese copy too, but she said she already had one. I told the cashier that I had more if anyone else wanted any. She said she'd ask around. But within a few minutes, the dinner hour rush was in full swing, and she didn't get back to me. They were so busy I didn't want to interrupt them any more. But they definitely deserve a follow-up visit.

2 Comments:

At 10/26/2006 11:36:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job!

Chinese for 'give you' sounds like "Gay Nee". Say the "gay" a little higher and the "nee" a bit lower.

(went on a mission to taiwan)

I love the premise of your site. Keep updates coming.

-Greg

 
At 10/27/2006 11:17:00 AM, Blogger Bookslinger said...

Thanks.

Why don't you try it? Order 4 or so copies of the Chinese Book of Mormon from www.ldscatalog.com and visit one of your local Chinese restaurants.

My experience is that most, maybe 80%, of the Chinese restaraurant owners and employees are from China, as opposed to Hong Kong, Taiwan, or Indonesia. So you'd want to order more copies of the Simplified Script edition than the Traditional Script edition. Maybe start out with 3 Simplified Chinese, 1 Traditional Chinese, and 4 English.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home