Monday, October 23, 2006

Amharic at Post Office. Mon, Oct 23, 2006.

10/23/2006. 740. I met two men who appeared to be Ethiopian or Eritrean at the Post Office. They were conversing outside, so I waited near them to talk to them. When they ended their conversation, they looked at me, and I asked where they were from. They were from Eritrea, and were speaking Tigrinya. The one who spoke better English answered my questions, and he translated a little for the other guy. I asked if he also spoke Amharic, and he said a little, so I offered him the Amharic Book of Mormon. He agreed to receive one, so we went on to the parking lot, and he waited by their car while I retreived two Amharic and two English copies from my car. I went back over to them and presented them. I got the impression he wasn't proficient in reading Amharic, but that's okay. Both men accepted the pairs of books. We chit-chatted for a bit. They work at a large place that employees a lot of African immigrants. I suggested that if any of his friends or co-workers wanted free books to call me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home