Saturday, October 21, 2006

Amharic at laundromat. Sat, Oct 21, 2006.

10/21/2006. 739. As I was loading my washer, two girls, about 10 or 12 years old walked by speaking with an accent or speaking a foreign language. I asked where their family was from, and they said Ethiopia. Their mother then walked by, and I switched the conversation to her. I asked if I had given her the Amharic Book of Mormon before. I think at this point at least in this part of town, it's better if I assume I've contacted the person before. She didn't recognize me, so I offered her an Amharic New Testament and Book of Mormon, and she was was upbeat in her positive reply. I said I'd get it from the car after loading the washer.

They were just finishing up, and were taking their laundry outside when I met them coming back in. I presented the Amharic New Testament, then the Amharic Book of Mormon, then the Amharic Gospel Fundamentals. She said she was impressed. I then offered the English Book of Mormon and Gospel Fundamentals, and she enthusiastically accepted those, because she wanted to teach the girls to read Amharic, since they only spoke it up to now. She also expressed interest in visiting the church, so I pointed out the info flyer with the chapel addresses on it, and pointed out the one closest to where they lived.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home