Thursday, June 01, 2006

Moment #591. Lunch with missionaries. Spanish. Thu, Jun 1, 2006.

06/01/2006. I wanted to go work out before having lunch, but I was prompted to take one of the sets of elders in our ward to a certain Mexican restaurant. I called the elders, and asked if they had plans for lunch. They didn't. So we set a time for me to pick them up.

When we got there, we unexpectedly met an active member and an inactive member of the church having lunch with a couple of their non-member friends/coworkers. The missionaries had planned on contacting the inactive member and talking with him anyway. It worked out much better that the contact was fortuitous instead of intentionally seeking him out, (even if the contact was merely for attempting to set up an appointment for later.)

The restaurant is in their proselyting area, but it's not a place that the elders would have sought out to have lunch on their own.

That alone would have been enough of a "wow" moment for me. But our waitress also accepted a Spanish Book of Mormon, and a couple DVD's (Heavenly Father's Plan, and Together Forever) that have Spanish audio tracks. She also agreed to be contacted by the missionaries and gave them her name, address and phone number. She lives in an area covered by the other set of elders, so these guys wrote the other elders' phone number in her Book of Mormon, and will give her contact info to them.

The third fortuitous event was when the elders asked for a "Special Witnesses of Christ" DVD. They were scheduled to make a presentation using it later in the day, but the other elders had borrowed their copy and not returned it. I had it in my car inventory, so I gave them a copy.

2 Comments:

At 6/01/2006 09:29:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

so.. why shd i believe in the book of mormon?

 
At 6/01/2006 09:54:00 PM, Blogger Bookslinger said...

When people have asked me that question before, it usually turned out that the real underlying question is not the literal meaning of how that question is worded.

So before I write a dissertation, I need to ask, "How do you mean that?"

I usually end up assuming the questioner meant "How do you know (or what makes you believe) that the Book of Mormon is as true as the Bible?" Or I end up assuming the questioner meant "If it's as true as the Bible, like you say, then how do I find that out on my own?" Or I end up assuming they meant "Ok, so convince me."

Are any of those how you meant the question?

If you meant the 3rd way "Ok, so convince me" then I can't. I never want to persuade anyone to believe in it. If you want convinced, you gotta go to God and ask him to let you know if it's as true as the Bible.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home