Monday, May 29, 2006

Moment #589. Arabic at ward picnic at park. Mon, May 29, 2006.

05/29/2006. Our ward had a Memorial Day picnic at a local park. It was a great turnout. A majority of the active members were there.

After most of the eating was done, a little girl, about 8 to 10, came by on her bicycle and joined a couple of our children her age. I went by them to put something in my car, and the girl appeared to me to be African. I later went over and asked, and she said her family was from Sudan. I asked what other language besides English they spoke, and she only knew it as "African." I guessed Arabic, and I asked her to translate an Arabic word I know, and she got it right.

I later asked the sister missionaries at the picnic if they'd like to find out where she lived and try to present an Arabic Book of Mormon to her parents. They thought that was okay, so I retrieved Arabic and English copies of the Book of Mormon, and a bilingual Arabic-English New Testament from my car, and gave them to the sister missionaries.

The sister missionaries then spoke with the girl, and apparently got her address, to go visit her family at some future time.

1 Comments:

At 5/30/2006 10:00:00 AM, Blogger annegb said...

good work :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home