Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Book of Mormon Moment #440. Vietnamese. Wed, Oct 12, 2005.

10/12/2005. It was about supper time. I planned on eating on the East side of town before going to a meeting in Lawrence that was scheduled for 7:30pm. I drove East on Washington Street hoping to find an ethnic restaurant I hadn't been to before. I was pretty sure I had previously seen some between where I was and Post Road. I passed a Chinese buffet where I had eaten and had placed a few books before, but didn't feel inspired to eat there tonight.

After a while I saw another Chinese buffet restaurant from the road, and felt inspired to turn in there. As I approached that Chinese restaurant, I then saw a Vietnamese restaurant next to it, whose sign was not visible from the road. It took me a while to figure out which place I was being drawn to, and I finally decided it was the Vietnamese restaurant. But first I went to a gas station next door to get a newspaper.

I went in, and sat down. The only other customers were a family. The waitress took my order. I got a noodle dish with chicken. It was great, one of the best Asian dishes I've ever had.

When I went to pay, I asked the waitress/cashier/owner if she liked to read Vietnamese. She did and I offered the Vietnamese Book of Mormon. She started flipping through it. She was not as enthusiastic about the English copy. But when I opened both and she read the Vietnamese as I read the English, the benefit of using it to improve her English dawned on her, and she accepted the English copy.

I offered her more copies for other employees but she turned them down. She tried to pay me, but I insisted they were free.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home