Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Book of Mormon Moment #434. Chinese. Tues, Oct 4, 2005.

10/04/2005. I invited one of the singles from Avon to have dinner with me. We went to a small Chinese buffet restaurant. We set the two kinds of Chinese Books of Mormon, and an English copy on our table. When the employee came by she noticed them, and I offered her a free copy. She thought it was the Bible, and said that a student had given her a copy at school. I pointed out that we believe in both the Bible and the Book of Mormon. She accepted the Simplified Chinese version, but declined the English. She was very busy, so I didn't press her to take an English copy.

There were two other employees from the kitchen who were attending the buffet steam table. A couple of times I noticed her flipping through the book at the front counter. I thought of asking the main employee (who was the cashier and also busing tables) if we could give her books for the other employees, but she was busy and there didn't seem to be an opening. It may have been better to sit closer to the front counter. This place would be good to go back to for lunch.

Afterwards, when we got back to my car, I remembered that I had some of the church's multi-lingual DVDs with Chinese audio tracks. My date thought it okay to go back in and offer a free DVD. So we took a "Together Forever" DVD back in and waited at the counter, and she made the presentation. The employee was hesitant, but her little boy, about 5 years old, was excited at the prospect of a movie in Chinese, and he clinched the deal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home