Saturday, September 17, 2005

Book of Mormon Moment #426. Twi. Sat, Sep 17, 2005.

09/17/2005. I was on the way home from an LDS Single Adult conference that was put on by the Louisville Stake in Crestwood, KY. I stopped at the Speedway gas station off of exit #50 in Seymour. I had a Speedway gas card. I bought gas and paid at the pump. I thought about approaching the Hispanic man using the pump on the other side of mine, but I didn't approach. I saw a young black man inside the gas station.

I went inside to buy some pop. He again caught my attention. But his clothes were a typical American style. However, I got that antsy feeling like I was supposed to approach him. I obtained some soda from the self-serve fountain, then got to the cashier just as he was leaving. I asked "Monsieur, parlez vous Francais?" He said no. I asked where he was from, and he said Ghana. I asked if he spoke Twi. (Pronounced "chwee".) He said yes. I said "No way! I have a book in Twi from my church in my car." He showed interested. I asked him to wait for me outside while I paid. After paying, I went outside and said it was free, said the name of the church, and that I'd like to show it to him, and he followed me to my car.

I got the Twi Book of Mormon from my trunk and handed it to him. He looked at it like he could read it. I gave him an English copy too. I asked how long he had been in the United States. He said he was born here, but his parents were from Ghana. We chit-chatted a bit, and his brother came over. They live in Chicago, and were going to or from their church's youth conference someplace.

I didn't get their names, but I said there was an 800 number in the books if they wanted more information or to get extra copies for friends or relatives.

The older brother started reading it as they walked away.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home