Sunday, October 19, 2008

French, Hausa at laundromat. Sun, Oct 19, 2008.

10/19/2008. 1077. I was pulling a late-nighter at the all-night laundromat. A family, a mom and five children ranging from teenagers to a newborn, came in speaking a foreign language. I waited until they had put all their laundry in the washers and I had my laundry in the dryers, then I went over and spoke to the mom.

They were from Niger and spoke French and Hausa. I offered them a French Book of Mormon and a Hausa Sunday school manual. The mom accepted and agreed to receive them. So I went out to my car and retrieved them, plus the English copies.

When I presented them, they were definitely interested, and the mom asked where the church was. She started flipping through the material right there. After I went back and was folding my laundry, the mom was still reading the Gospel Fundamentals Sunday school manual.

Later on, I gave them a multi-lingual copy of "Together Forever" that has a French audio track.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 10/19/2008 09:51:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few of your stories have made me wonder if people receiving Hausa (or other non-english language) material assume the local services are performed in Hausa (or other non-english language). What do you think? Do you mention to them that the services are in English?

 
At 10/19/2008 10:17:00 PM, Blogger Bookslinger said...

Sometimes people ask if there are members who speak their language. Usually, I have to tell them "Not any here, that I know of. But back the church does have congregations back in ______."

There was a member who spoke Hausa in the ward that shares the building with us. But I don't know if he's still there. I'll have to ask about him next week.

There are French speakers though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home