Monday, October 06, 2008

Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa, German at store. Mon, Oct 6, 2008.

10/06/2008. 1073. I was shopping at a nearby "close-out store". Two emloyees were talking in an aisle, and one had an accent. I asked him what country he was from, and he said Nigeria. I asked if he spoke Igbo or Yoruba, and he said both. I asked if he spoke Hausa, and he said he spoke that too. I asked if he read all those, and he said he did.

I offered him "free books from my church" in his languages, and he agreed to receive them. He said it was okay to bring them into the store, and I pointed out they were Christian, and he said that was okay.

I bought back in Igbo, Yoruba and English copies of the Book of Mormon, and Hausa and English copies of Gospel Fundamentals. I asked him to read a verse from the two copies of the Book of Mormon, and he could read them, but I don't know if he understood them correctly. I forgot to ask him which his main or tribal language was.

He was delighted to receive the material.

1074. Another customer joined our conversation, and she asked for something in German. I said I'd get one from the car for her, but when I looked I couldn't find it. I gave one out earlier in the year, and must have forgotten to restock the car. So I gave her a couple videos that had German audio tracks, "Together Forever" and "Introduction to the Church."

I told her of several options to get a German Book of Mormon. I pointed out the info flyer in one of the DVD cases, and said she could call the local office (the mission office) or the national toll-free number to have one sent. She had asked where the church was that I go to, so I pointed out the chapel I attend, and circled the time, and said she could just show up, and I'd give her a German copy.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 10/09/2008 03:50:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know that although I don't comment often, I really do enjoy reading your blog. It always brightens my day to hear about someone receiving Church materials - especially the Book of Mormon. Thanks!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home