Sunday, October 05, 2008

French, Haitian Creole at church. Sun, Oct 5, 2008.

10/05/2008. 1072. I was sitting in the back row of the chapel waiting for general conference to start. A guy came in and sat next to me. I've seen him before at the chapel, but he goes to the other ward that shares the building. I'm not sure if he's a member or an investigator. He spoke to someone, and I could detect an accent, so I asked him where he's from. He said Haiti. I asked if he spoke and read Haitian Creole and he said yes.

I offered him a Haitian Creole Book of Mormon, and he agreed to receive one. I thought I had one in the car, but when I went out to get it, I couldn't find it. I did have some Haitian Creole copies of the Liahona, so I brought those in, and gave them to him. I said I'd get him the Haitian Creole Book of Mormon at the next conference session that day, or else I'd see him next week at church. He then said he could use a French Book of Mormon. I had forgotten that French was another common language of Haiti, along with Hatian Creole and Spanish.

I went back out to the car and retrieved a French Book of Mormon and a French Liahona magazine, came back, and presented those.

After that session of conference, I remembered I had a French New Testament in the car, so I gave him that one too, out in the parking lot.

I went home between sessions of conference, and put some Haitian Creole copies of the Book of Mormon in the car.

He was there for the second session, and I handed him the Haitian Creole Book of Mormon. He seemed happy, and when I glanced over a little later, he was still flipping through it.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home