Saturday, September 15, 2007

English DVDs at store parking lot. Sat, Sep 15, 2007.

09/15/2007. 886. As I left a store I passed another car in the parking lot on the way to mine. There was a man in the front passenger seat with the door open. As I got back to my car, my attention was turned back to the man. He was still in the car, door open, so he apparently was just waiting on the driver, and was keeping the door open to keep cool. He was an elderly African-American man, and was dressed as if he had just came back from church.

It occurred to me to offer him something from my stash of church material in the car. Rather than analyze the thought/feeling to figure out if it was actually a spiritual prompting, or merely my own idea, I decided to just do it.

I grabbed three DVDs, Joy to the World, To This End Was I Born, and Finding Faith in Christ.

I took the DVDs back to his car, and stood off to the side at a respectful distance, in front of his car door, so that the door was between us.

I said "Excuse me, sir" a couple times before I realized he was asleep. But he was sitting perfectly upright, so it was not obvious at first that he was asleep, and was probably not in a deep sleep.

I feared that I had begun the wake-up process, and figured it was better to continue than just slink off. So I said "Sir" a couple more times a little louder, and he opened his eyes.

I offered him the Christmas DVD first, pointing out that it featured the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. He was interested, looked at it, and politely accepted it. I then offered the other two DVDs, which he also accepted.

I sort of apologized that it was early for Christmas, and he responded something like "Not really."

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home