Monday, September 10, 2007

Vietnamese at Restaurant. Mon, Sep 10, 2007

09/10/2007. 884. I was heading towards a particular Chinese restaurant that I haven't been to in a long time, and noticed this new Chinese restaurant that I hadn't seen before, just a few blocks away. When I arrived at the restaurant I had intended on going to, it was closed. So I backtracked and tried out this new Chinese restaurant.

This place was indeed new, and had opened just a few months ago. I ordered, sat down, and put my standard Chinese material on the table: bilingual Chinese/English New Testament, both kinds of Chinese Book of Mormon, English Book of Mormon, and a "Finding Happiness" DVD, and I started reading a local newspaper.

The Caucasian-American waitress/cashier brought my food, and didn't show any sign she noticed the material on the table.

The food was great. And it was interesting in that it reminded me of the meals I've had at Chinese restaurants that are owned and operated by Vietnamese families. The recipes, both the entree and the rice, were extremely familiar so I put away the Chinese material, and got out a Vietnamese Book of Mormon from my book bag.

When the waitress checked on me, I asked if the chef was from Vietnam, and she confirmed that he was.

When the chef came out, I was able to strike up a conversation with him, and he accepted my offer of the Vietnamese Book of Mormon. He declined the English, but I didn't push the English edition like I normally do, because I plan on going back soon anyway.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home