Friday, August 31, 2007

Daily Recap: Urdu followup, Russian-Turkish, Igbo, Punjabi. Fri, Aug 31, 2007.

08/31/2007. Journal Entry. I went back to the restuarant where I had supper Tuesday, where the manager had accepted Urdu and English copies of the Joseph Smith Testimony pamphlet. (The church is currently out of the Urdu Book of Mormon.) I had told her I'd bring back an Urdu Bible. So I took one over, and had lunch there today. She accepted it and an English Bible. I gave her an NIV (New International Version) English Bible, from the International Bible Society.

875. After eating, I went to a discount store near there to buy another pair of pants that they had on sale, but they were out of my size. I bought some other stuff I needed, and when I was checking out, there were two young ladies in line behind me speaking a foreign language in what sounded like an Eastern European accent. After checking out, I loitered near the door, and after they paid, I asked what languages they spoke. One said Russian and Turkish. They accepted my offer of Russian and Turkish books from church, and I asked them to wait there while I went to the car to retrieve them.

They didn't wait long, because by the time I got the books out of the car, they were already in the parking lot, but they were coming towards me anyway. They cheerfully accepted the books, and also eagerly accepted the English copy too.

876. Igbo-speaking Nigerian man at Post Office. One of his friends had given him an English copy of the Book of Mormon, but he left the book back home in Nigeria. He gratefully and enthusiastically accepted the Igbo and English copies I gave him.

877. Clerk at convenience store. Punjabi and English copies of Gospel Fundamentals.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 9/09/2007 03:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On Urdu: It's because they redid the translation. It will be available again soon, and this time it will be a *full* translation! I would anticipate availability in the next 2 months.

 
At 9/09/2007 05:46:00 PM, Blogger Bookslinger said...

I'd be interested to know what the official official word is. I think I'll try calling around this week and see. If you hear anything official, please let me know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home