Sunday, May 13, 2007

French, Hausa at store. Sun, May 13, 2007

05/13/2007. 821. I'm not a morning person. I admit I use caffeine, in pill form, to make it through the Sunday meetings. I usually take 1/2 tablet (100 mg) before leaving home, and then a couple of 1/4 tablets (50 mg) during meetings. This morning I forgot to take some before leaving home, and my pocket pill box only had a single 1/4 tablet. I kept nodding off during sacrament meeting, so right afterwards I went down the street to a grocery store to get some caffeine tablets.

On my way out of the store, there was a man at the store's office counter. He appeared and sounded like he was from Africa. I kind of did a double take, and kept on walking, but went back and approached him, and asked what languages he spoke. He said French. I asked where he was from and he said Niger. I asked if he spoke Hausa, and he said yes. I offered him the Sunday School manual (Gospel Fundamentals, or it's previous title Gospel Principles Simplfied) in Hausa, for free, and he agreed to see it. I said I'd meet him outside, or come back in.

I went out to my car and got the Hausa Gospel Fundamentals. I was out of the English version in my car, but had some back home. I also got out French and English copies of a paperback New Testament, French and English copies of the Book of Mormon, and some recent French and English copies of the Liahona.

Just as I was going back in, he came out and we met outside. He said he already had a Bible, but he accepted the other material. His main language is "Gurma", but the church doesn't have anything in that language.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 5/16/2007 03:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not taking your pill was a blessing in disquise!

As far as caffeine pills, I was told by someone in my Health For Elementary Teachers Class that eating an apple wakes a person up as much as caffeine. I believe that caffeine is effective because it causes the body to realease sugars so that would make sense. When I am groggy before work on rare occassions, I have drank a little orange juice and it made me more alert. I empathize with falling asleep in meetings. I don't think I have fallen asleep in a regular Church meeting but during films, slide shows, certain videos, and also during some training sessions at my work....zzzzz..nodding off and waking up and nodding off and waking up again and again

 

Post a Comment

<< Home