Friday, April 20, 2007

Spanish declined at Chinese restaurant. Fri, Apr 20, 2007

04/20/2007. 814. I had supper at a Chinese buffet restaurant in a suburb of Indianapolis. This was right after I chickened out of an opportunity to talk to two Asian men in front of the nail salon further down the strip mall.

I put out the two kinds of Chinese editions of the Book of Mormon on my table while I ate and read the newspaper. But the bus-boy was Hispanic, not Chinese, so I eventually put out a Spanish Book of Mormon too. On one of his trips collecting the used plates, I asked if he spoke Spanish and liked to read in Spanish, and he said yes. I offered him the Book of Mormon in Spanish and English. He didn't say "no thanks," but he was showing reluctance, and was hesitating while he thought of a response, so I didn't press. I should have offered a Spanish pass-along card though.

When I was ready to leave, the Asian cashier/hostess was on the phone. She had spoken what sounded like Chinese to another Asian family who was eating there. I could have waited until she was off the phone before passing by the cashier counter on my way out, but I was feeling discouraged from having chickened out in front of the nail salon, and the bus-boy declining.

On my way out I noticed a bulletin board in the entrance foyer for people to post their business cards. So I put up a business-card sized pass-along card.

I'll have to go back during lunch, or soon after the lunch-rush to eat there again and make another try.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 4/23/2007 11:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are generally always prepared with materials and work to have opportunites. There are not always easy openings. Maybe the timing is not right.

I do believe that at times our prayers can be answered if we are specific and ask that you will be in situations where the timing, enviroment, and are there to share your message.

I remember a missionary companion commenting once who when something happened that made us very down there was often another blessing that happened around that time that was evident of the hand of God.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home