Saturday, March 31, 2007

Punjabi to neighbor. Sat, Mar 31, 2007.

03/31/2007. 808. As I got into my car in the parking lot where I live, I noticed a man wearing a brightly colored turban in another part of the parking lot. I was on my way to watch general conference at church, and at first decided to keep on going so as not to be late. Then it occured to me that I might not seem him again, so I turned the car around, and drove next to where he was standing on the sidewalk.

He was from the province of Punjab, was a Sikh, and spoke Punjabi. I still had a couple Punjabi Gospel Fundamentals in the car, so I reached into the back seat and pulled one out, and took it out of the wrapper and gave it to him, along with a Punjabi edition of the Joseph Smith Testimony pamphlet. He was very grateful for something to read in Punjabi.

We chatted a bit, and then I had to pull away to let another car out. I parked, and told him I'd get the English version from my apartment. He waited for me while I ran back to my place and got an English copy of Gospel Fundamentals. I gave it to him, and he didn't want it at first as he didn't read English very well, but I tried to convey that he could use them to learn to read English, and he eventually accepted it.

He was recently arrived from India, visiting family, and he was not fluent in English. He was very friendly and humble, so I hope I didn't come on too strong. But I wanted to take advantage of the chance to meet him, give him my contact info, and get on to general conference.

In the material was an info-flyer with the addresses of the local chapels and mission office number, and a card with my name, phone number, and email address on it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home