Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Moment #687. English DVD's at Post Office. Aug, 2006.

08/2006. I stopped by the Post Office to mail a letter and check my PO Box. I was also on the way to a festival to set up a "Book of Mormon Booth" to give out copies of the Book of Mormon in that country's languages.

There was an elderly man in the outer lobby. He had an old blurry tattoo on his forearm. I couldn't tell what it was, but its location and general outline hinted that he was in the Navy. I asked him something like "Sir, is that a Navy tattoo?" He said yes, he got it in the Navy. I asked where he served, and if he had been in a certain country (that being the country of the festival). He had been there! I told him about the festival, the location and time, and invited him. He seemed like a pretty nice guy. We only chatted a little bit.

We met up again outside the Post Office. He approached me and he started up our conversation again. He said he just might go to that festival. He also said his wife died a few months ago, and he said how much he missed her. He was at an age where most people stop driving and live with their children, but he seemed in excellent health and was driving himself. My heart went out to him. We chatted a bit more, and it occurred to me to give him a couple DVD's, the Together Forever DVD and the Heavenly Father's Plan DVD. Out of the 8 DVD's I carry around, those two seemed most appropriate for someone grieving the loss of a loved one. I got those two out of my car, offered them, and he accepted.

I took one of my business cards, and wrote down the name of the festival, the address, and the time, and gave it to him. He was eager for conversation, so we just stood there a while and talked some more. You could tell he was lonely.

Later at the festival, he did show up. He had brought his Navy discharge papers, that indicated he was awarded a ribbon for his service in that country. I introduced him to one of the organizers, and she introduced him around some more. You could tell they respected him very much for his service in World War II. I bought some tickets to be used at a food booth, and gave him some. He stayed for the opening ceremonies of the festival.

He stopped by my booth before leaving, and I walked with him on the way out, stopping to introduce him to some business-men that I recognized. He showed them his Navy discharge papers too. I walked with him out to his car. I wished he could have stayed some more, but he had somewhere he had to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home