Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Hindi. Spanish x 2. Tues, Aug 29, 2006.

08/29/2006. 697. I met a nice young couple from India at the gym. They helped me practice some words in Hindi. They accepted my offer of a Hindi and an English Book of Mormon.

08/29/2006. 698. I met my home teacher at the chapel to go out to eat at a nearby restaurant. We call that home-teaching. He works not far from the chapel, and has to be there Tuesday nights for a calling. So he walks there from work anyway. I picked him up and we went to a nearby Mexican restaurant that neither of us has been to before.

We had a good dinner and a good visit. The radio in the restaurant was tuned to a local Spanish AM radio station. There was talk on the radio, and it sounded like a religious show.

After we went to the counter and paid, I offered the cashier/waitress a free bi-lingual Spanish/English New Testament. She accepted it. I then offered free copies of the Book of Mormon in both Spanish and English, saying that we believe in both the Bible and the Book of Mormon. She hadn't heard of "Los Mormones" before. She graciously accepted the Books of Mormon, too.

08/29/2006. 699. On the way home from the chapel, I stopped at a drug store. Right before I went in, a Mexican-looking man parked his bicycle in front of my car and went in. I felt like he'd be receptive to an offer of Spanish material. But I blew my chance in the store.

After I left, I noticed that his bicycle was gone, but he was only around the corner of the building, looking over his photos that he had picked up. So before leaving the parking lot, I just pulled my car into another parking space, rolled down the window, and asked him if he spoke Spanish, and started a conversation that way.

I offered him a free Spanish Bible, but he sort of declined in a soft way, saying one of his roommates had a nice big Bible. I asked if he had a DVD player, and he said yes, so I offered him three free church DVD's that have Spanish audio tracks. He accepted those. We chatted a bit more. I then offered the Spansih Bible again, so he could own his own copy, and he agreed, so I got out an NVI version Spanish New Testament. For some reason, I was disinclined to offer a Book of Mormon, hoping he'd first make contact with the missionaries. I wrote the local spanish-speaking missionaries' phone number on one of the info flyers in one of the DVD cases.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 8/30/2006 11:27:00 PM, Blogger Stephen said...

I'm impressed by your continued diligence.

 
At 8/31/2006 06:32:00 PM, Blogger m_and_m said...

What an inspiration this all is. I guess that makes my 10 books given out on my internship years ago not sufficient, huh? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home