Monday, March 20, 2006

Moment #546. Chinese at restaurant. Mon, Mar 20, 2006.

03/20/2006. Yesterday I invited the ward mission leader to go with me to a Chinese buffet restaurant for lunch today. This was the place that I found on March 10th.

I was actually thinking of going there Saturday night for supper, and inviting the ward mission leader, but I procrastinated.

On the way there, we passed a gas station that I must have massed umpteen times before, but didn't know was there. It was set back a ways from the street. And I made a mental note to go there afterwards.

At the restaurant, there was one young man at the cashier counter, who also bussed tables. And there were three people who occasionally made appearances from the kitchen.

When I made a trip to the steam table, I tried to strike up a conversation with Mom and Pop who were heading back towards the kitchen. But their command of English wasn't enough to have a conversation. Or maybe they were just too busy.

Back at the table, the cashier/busboy didn't seem to notice the Chinese Books of Mormon on our table, and I didn't see an opening to get his attention.

So after eating and leaving a tip, we went to the cashier counter. He was with a friend, but there were no other customers in the place, so it seemed cool to talk with him.

I was confused about where his family was from. He ended up accepting both Chinese editions of the Book of Mormon, traditional and Simplified, and an English copy.

He wasn't as enthusiastic as I've seen others, but he was not reluctant or annoyed at our offer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home