Sunday, March 19, 2006

Amharic and Romanian at church. Sun, Mar 19, 2006.

03/19/2006. I met the two sister missionaries in the hallway. They said they had an Ethiopian investigator and asked for a Book of Mormon in that language. One of the sisters was new today, and I don't remember speaking with the other before, so someone must have pointed me out to them. I said "Sure. It's out in my car, I'll be right back." So I retrieved an Amharic Book of Mormon, and Amharic and English copies of Gospel Fundamentals, and gave them to the sisters.

After all the meetings, a local sister was telling someone about the cruise her family took. The brother she was talking to looked at me and said "Ask him, he's probably got one." The sister said she needed four Romanian copies of the Book of Mormon to send to some people she met on the cruise. I said "I might have one in the car, and another 2 or 3 back home, let me check." I found the Romanian one in my car, and she paid me for it.

Later in the day, I found four more at home, so I took three of them over to her house, and replaced the one I had in my car.

4 Comments:

At 4/17/2006 06:47:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ack! You got my hopes up. My husband served his mission in Romania, so I was hoping that you were going to say that there was a Romanian investigator that the missionaries were working with.

Strangely enough, he has been able to use his Romanian language skills in, of all places, Lebanon, IN, where he sold cell phones. Some Romanian customers, just passing through the area, came to purchase a cell phone.

 
At 4/17/2006 11:01:00 PM, Blogger Bookslinger said...

Ah, now I know who you are, sister-with-a-baby-in-a-sling!

The sister who asked for the books is the former bishop's wife, Sister H. One of their daughters spoke in Sacrament meeting yesterday.

If she hasn't sent the books on to their Romanian friends, maybe M. can write a testimony in Romanian to send along with.

 
At 4/18/2006 12:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I am sister-with-a-baby-in-a-sling. And I adore foreign food, so I enjoy your blog as much for the flooding the earth stories as for trying to figure out which fun restaurants you go to. I get the opportunity to expose my husband to many different kinds of cuisines.

I love Sister H, I adore her MIL, and I really, really miss her FIL.

M. had the privilege of handing out the first full translation of the BOM in Romanian. When he first started his mission, they only had "selections". The Romanian members were so excited when they found out that there were two Almas, two Nephis, and many more stories. It was also a much better translation than "selections".

 
At 4/18/2006 01:31:00 PM, Blogger Bookslinger said...

Baby-slinger! Ha! I love it! I didn't even see that one coming.

I sent M an email letting him know that the "new and improved" Romanian edition, with footnotes and a Guide to the Scriptures, copyright 2005, is available via the Dist Center. I have a few copies in my grubby little hands.

Before I did the blog, I used to have an email distribution list. On those messages I gave the exact addresses, in case anyone had opportunity to do follow up. But since this is public, and open to the antis, I need to be more anonymous.

I was scared, but eventually flattered, when a couple of the anti-mormon web sites linked here and mocked what I was doing. So I worry about someone following my trail and un-doing things.

I did give out a Romanian Book of Mormon at the International Festival in November of 2005. I don't remember if you guys were here back then. I didn't know M served in Romania until his talk.

If they had a booth, that means there's a local Romanian society or club. Maybe you can google it.

That was an exciting day and a half. You can read about it in the November 2005 archive. The blog entry for that Saturday is sparse in details, but I'll check my journal to see if I wrote more. So much happened that it was hard to remember it all, even at the end of the day.

The people I met, especially some guys from Senegal and Nigeria made me feel like I was their hero. You should have seen their faces when they saw a white guy saying a few words in their language.

I have M's email address. I'll send a message there about a web site that lists all the local ethnic restaurants. Let me know if you want a list of good eateries and stores.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home