Saturday, August 28, 2010

French at gas station. Sat, Aug 28, 2010.

08/28/2010. 1249. I was on my way home from doing laundry. A new gas station had opened up on the route that I had chosen to drive home. The idea occurred to me to stop and get a newspaper. I don't know if it was a spiritual prompting or not.

Anyway, the cashier was a black man who spoke with a heavy accent. So after I paid, I took a guess and asked "Parlez vous francais?" He said yes, or maybe "oui". I asked where he was originally from, and he said Niger.

I didn't offer anything at the time, but when I got back to my car, I dug out a Together Forever DVD (that has a French audio track), and an old copy of a French Liahona magazine, and took them back in.

I got back in line, and when it was my turn, I asked if he'd like a free DVD in French and a free magazine in French from my church. He was very excited about them, and enthusiastically greed to receive them. I asked if he was Muslim, since most people from Niger are Muslim. He said yes. So I made sure he knew it was Christian material and if he still wanted them, and he said no problem. He also spoke Hausa, but when I offered him a Hausa copy of the Sunday school manual (Gospel Fundamentals), he said he didn't read Hausa, just spoke it.

I don't know why I didn't offer a French Book of Mormon, but since I'm regularly in that area (about once a week) I should have opportunity to follow up.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home