Thursday, April 02, 2009

It can matter where you do your laundry. Thu, Apr 2, 2008.

04/02/2008. 1129. Laundry day. I didn't have to do a late night run like normal. So I considered other laundries along the route I was going on to do another errand. I remembered one that I had been to before, but didn't want to go there because it is more expensive and kind of small. However, I received a clear and strong spiritual impression that I was to go there.

It has front-loading washers of various sizes, and I figured I needed the largest size. There were only four of them, and using two of the others was an Hispanic family, who looked like a mom and two daughters of high school age. (Later I learned that the second girl was probably another relative, not a daughter.) So I had a legitimate excuse to be within conversation distance. After I got done loading mine, I started reading the latest Ensign. The family was just a few feet away from me, and one of the daughters was reading something aloud to the other two. I casually looked over, and it was a Spanish Bible. I walked the couple steps over, and asked (in Spanish) if that was the Bible, and they said yes. I said I like to give out Bibles in Spanish to those who need or want them, and I kept a Spanish Bible with me. I asked if anyone in their family or friends would like a Bible, and the mom said that the other girl, the one not reading, had been asking for one.

Soooo...., I walked the three or four steps back to my laundry basket and whipped out the plastic zip-lock bag containing a Spanish paper-back Bible and a Spanish hard-back Book of Mormon. I took out the Bible, and handed it to the girl who had wanted one. Having one "at the ready" like that seemed to impress them. I made some chit-chat, and then introduced the Book of Mormon as another book that the church uses along with the Bible. They agreed to receive that one too. I pointed out the list of chapels inside that included the Spanish branch, and the phone number for the Spanish-speaking missionaries that live near the laundry.

They were definitely interested, and after the conversation, the second girl started reading the introduction pages aloud to the other two.

I talked to them again right before leaving.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 4/03/2009 02:06:00 PM, Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Good on ya! God bless!

 
At 4/04/2009 10:15:00 AM, Blogger Ryan Mercer said...

Awesome!

 
At 4/04/2009 02:11:00 PM, Anonymous ama said...

Awesome story! Isn't it fun sharing the Word with people? Thanks for your example.

 
At 4/05/2009 02:26:00 AM, Blogger Sondra said...

Thank you for the inspiration. I'm going to try to be more like you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home