Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Spanish declined at laundry. Tue, Mar 17, 2009.

03/17/2009. 1126. I had put my weekly load of laundry in the car before heading off to the storehouse, intending to go to a 24-hour laundromat afterwards, and after eating supper.

I didn't see any obvious opportunities at the laundromat. About half the customers were Hispanic, but I haven't been approaching Spanish-speakers like I should.

One of the employees there was cleaning the exterior of the dryers just as I was finishing up folding my clothes at the folding table next to the wall of dryers.

And, she struck up a conversation with me. Doht, that made it easy. And she was Hispanic. We talked mostly in Spanish.

She asked if I were single. I'm sure she could tell just by looking at my clothes hanging from the cart thing. Basically she hit on me, saying she was single, and was looking for a decent guy. We made some small-talk, and I invited her to church at the Spanish branch that meets downtown.

I pulled out the info-flyer from a clear plastic zip-lock bag that contains both a Spanish Bible and Spanish Book of Mormon. (I always take that with me to laundromats, and place it on the washer or on the folding table I'm using.) She accepted the flyer. The Spanish branch's chapel and meeting time is indicated on the flyer. I indicated the ward/chapel that I attend, which is on the far side of town, opposite from where that laundromat is, and told her I was just over here working, and wanted to do late night laundry since I knew about that place.

I later offered her the Spanish Bible, but she already had one. I then offered her the Spanish Book of Mormon, but she politely declined.

We continued to talk a little more, and I told her about the monthly Single Adult fireside that that stake has, and wrote down the information, day of the month, and time, and indicated the chapel on the flyer where it is held.

I hope I don't regret it, but I also wrote down my name and cell phone number on the flyer. She didn't accept the Book of Mormon, but the flyer has all the info of a pass-along card, plus the local mission office phone number, and the list of local chapels.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 3/18/2009 09:14:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, flirt to convert!

 
At 3/20/2009 01:38:00 AM, Blogger Weston Krogstadt said...

That's pretty good, I'd never heard that one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home