Sunday, November 19, 2006

Hindi at church. Sun, Nov 19, 2006.

11/19/2006. 753. Sitting in the sacrament meeting of the ward where I was visiting, there was a couple who looked like they were from India. They were not sitting with missionaries, so I assumed they were members. I found out later they were not members, but were in town visiting family. They were in-laws of the Gospel Doctrine Sunday School teacher.

Again, I broke one of my own rules by leaving and retreiving books from my car during one of the sacrament talks. I retrieved Hindi, Telugu and Tamil Books of Mormon.

When that couple passed by me (I was sitting by the door), I asked the man what languages he spoke, and he said Hindi. I asked what other languages he spoke, asking about Tamil or Telugu, and he just repeated Hindi. Usually, people from India speak Hindi, English, and one other language that is native to their region or state, such as Punjabi, Gujerati, Telugu, Tamil, Sinhala, Marathi, etc. But some people really only do speak Hindi and English. Or perhaps he didn't mention it thinking I wouldn't know about it.

He enthusiastically accepted the Hindi Book of Mormon. He and his wife sat in the front row in Gospel Doctrine class, as their sister-in-law was teaching. I could see them open the zip-lock plastic bag, and flip through the book.

After announcements, and my introduction as a visitor, the teacher asked who gave them the book, and I piped up "That was me." She asked how I knew to bring a Hindi Book of Mormon. Heh heh.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home