Friday, November 17, 2006

Follow-up (Korean) at dry cleaners. Fri, Nov 17, 2006.

11/17/2006. Follow-up from Wednesday (747). I went to pick up my dry-cleaning. Previously, I had given the lady two issues of the Korean Liahona. Today, I took in a Korean VHS tape of "The Lamb of God,"...

(You can't order it on the web, you have to phone it in. To see what all material is available in Korean, order the "Korean Language Materials Listing". It's a few pages long. For the life of me, I don't know why they don't offer it as a PDF of MS-Word download. English, Spanish, and French, you can order off the web. But for everything else, you have to order a hard-copy printout of the list for that language, then phone in (or mail in) your order. Ack. That's so frustrating for a compu-geek like me. Or they could just go whole-hog and put everything on the web.)

and I took in a multi-lingual "Together Forever" DVD, that has a Korean audio track on it.

For some reason I was too scared to offer the Korean and English copies of the Book of Mormon. Something, I'm not sure what, influenced me to go slower.

She asked what church they were from, and I showed the name of the church on the back of the DVD case, but it was in English. Her English seemed a bit limited, so communication seemed difficult and unsure. Anyway, I probably will go back there in the future, so there are more opportunities for placement. Or, I might get another local member to offer the books.

She did ask if there were Koreans at our church. I said that there were a lot members in Korea, but I didn't know of any locally. I don't know if she understood me to mean there were a lot of American Mormons in Korea, or a lot of Korean Mormons in Korea. There are a lot of Korean members of the church in Korea.

There are a good number of Korean churches and congregations in the greater Indianapolis area. They include Catholic, Baptist, and non-denominational Protestant. A while back I visited the non-denominational Korean church of a friend and client. They had a separate main-service and Sunday School for English speakers though. They had hired an English-only speaking pastor to preach in the English service, and teach the adult English Sunday School. After the meeting they had a lunch with excellent Korean cuisine, and I'm proud to say I ate a serving of all that was offered, including the seaweed soup, which their English-speaking pastor didn't try.

1 Comments:

At 3/22/2013 07:28:00 PM, Blogger Helena said...

Nice! I served in Korea. :) Just stumbled on your blog... cool stories!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home