Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Shona bedtime story: Sons of Helaman. Wed, Sep 6, 2006.

09/06/2006. 719. I was at a store when a man with two small children came in. He spoke with an accent, but his small children, perhaps 2 and 4 years old did not have any discernible accent.

When the moment was right, I asked where he was from, and he said Zimbabwe. I asked if he spoke Shona, and he said yes, and he asked me how I knew about it. I said I've met other Zimbabweans, and asked if he had met a couple of my other contacts. He knew one, but not the other.

I offered the Book of Mormon in Shona, and he enthusiastically accepted. I retrieved Shona and English copies from my car, and presented them.

I pointed out the index entry for "Helaman, Sons of" and suggested that would be good reading for his children, in order to teach them Shona. The story of the sons of Helaman is in the book of Alma, chapters 53, 56, 57 and 58.

We also exchanged business cards.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home