Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Follow-up to May 17/Jun 10. Nepali. Wed, Aug 9, 2006.

08/09/2006. I decided to go to a new Mexican restuarant. I first went to the grocery store next door to buy a newspaper to read while eating. In the store, I saw a lady walk by who I thought used to work at the drug store in the same strip mall. I approached her and asked if she was the lady who spoke Nepali. She said yes. It was her. I had given her a Hindi Book of Mormon on May 17th, and learned she also spoke Nepali. I didn't know if the church had anything in Nepali, but looked it up when I got home. The church does have the "The Living Christ: The Testimony of the Apostles" in Nepali, so I ordered a few copies. When I went back to the drug store on June 10th, she no longer worked there. So I've been carrying the Nepali translation of "The Living Christ: The Testimony of the Apostles" around in my car for about 2 months, hoping I'd run into her again.

So today, when I met her, I said I'd go get it from my car. I put the newspaper back on the rack, went outside and retrieved it from the car. I found her again, and gave it to her. She seemed to be in a hurry, so we didn't chat-chat. Then I went and bought a newspaper.

3 Comments:

At 9/25/2008 12:57:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

how would we even go about getting more literature in Nepali. there is a neighbor who that has a lot of people who speak this language but right now im stuck having one man translate it all for me

 
At 9/25/2008 05:08:00 PM, Blogger Bookslinger said...

If you mean getting literature that has already been translated, then:

to see what has been translated go to "Language Material Listings" at www.ldscatalog.com. From there, you can download/view a form showing what has been translated for any given language.

If you mean you want to lobby to have _additional_ church material translated into a given language, then there are two possible ways to lobby or petition for that:

There are several places to contact:

1. Missionary department at church headquarters.

2. Curriculum department at church headquaters. Translation occurs under the auspices of the curriculum department.

I don't have any phone numbers or email addresses, you'll have to research that on your own. I use www.anywho.com to look up phone numbers online. Call the main church office building in Salt Lake City, and they will likely direct you to the missionary department or curriculum/translation department.

Good luck.

 
At 8/21/2009 01:17:00 AM, Blogger Sister F said...

My husband converted a group of Nepali immigrants in New Hampshire last year near the end of his mission. He said that the church is working on producing more materials in Nepali for them as the majority do not speak or read English.
Apparently they do have some materials partially translated that have not been approved yet, these can possibly be photocopied and mailed to missionaries if they are needed.
These converts had to rely on their kids (about 8-12 years old) translating the English church material into Nepalese for them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home