Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Moment #492. Tagalog/Cebuano. Tues, Nov 22, 2005.

11/22/2005. A monthly errand took me past one of my favorite Asian stores, and I needed some peanut oil for stir fry. The cashier looked Filipina, but I hadn't met her before. I asked if she was the daughter of the other lady who owned or ran the store. She said no, just a friend.

I asked her, in Tagalog, if she spoke Tagalog, and she said yes. I explained that I had learned a couple phrases from a CD. We chit chatted a bit, and I got around to offering her a free Book of Mormon in Tagalog. She said okay, but that she was from Cebu, and that her dialect was Cebuano. I said I had a copy in Cebuano too, and asked if it was okay if I brought them in. She said sure.

So I brought in a Tagalog, a Cebuano, and an English Book of Mormon, along with a multi-lingual DVD of Together Forever, that has a Taglog track. She said they didn't have a DVD player, but with the cost of them down to $35, I figured they'd get one soon.

She wasn't quite as excited as the owner of the store was the last time I was there, but she was happy to receive the material, and not the least bit reluctant.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 2/07/2012 02:34:00 AM, Blogger Trey said...

Having served my mission in the Cebu Philippines mission, if she did not seem excited about, she really isn't all that interested. She is probably set in her current belief system, which is most likely Catholic.

But you did a great deed. One day she may watch the video, and one day she may read the Book of Mormon.

Good work. I love those people.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home