Monday, October 25, 2010

Bengali at laundromat. Mon, Oct 25, 2010.

10/25/2010. 1258. A couple from Bangladesh was using the washer next to mine, and I struck up a conversation with them. Later, I helped them use a dryer, as they seemed unfamiliar with the temperature setting, and how many dryer sheets to use.

Before I was done folding my laundry, they were sitting around waiting, so I offered them the Book of Mormon in Bengali. The husband agreed to receive it, and was enthusiastic about getting something to read in Bengali. I made him aware that it was Christian material from church, and he didn't have a problem with that. Almost all people from Bangladesh are Muslim.

I retrieved the Bengali copy and an English copy from my car and presented the books to them. They immediately started flipping through it, and they continued to read while I finished folding my laundry. We chatted some more and had a nice conversation. They helped me practice a few words and phrases in Bengali (aka "Bangla"), and I learned that there are regional differences in pronunciation.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 10/26/2010 12:41:00 AM, Blogger Jana said...

So inspiring!

 
At 11/01/2010 03:18:00 PM, Blogger Christian said...

Very cool stuff here. You know what would be interesting? A results/followup "Tag" where you assigned posts to that tag if you ever got any follow-ups on any of the work you're doing. Like if they ever email you, etc. Do you ever hear back from them? Or just hope for the best?

 
At 11/02/2010 11:18:00 AM, Blogger Bookslinger said...

I do use the "follow up" tag when I follow up or repeat at a location.

I don't have a tag for when they call me, but thanks for the idea! It is rare. I've had 3 call-backs. One guy in San Antonio in 2005. A local guy who called to thank-me because he received the material through a third party. And the man who called me in December 2008 (I had met him in April 2007) who got baptized along with his wife in July 2009.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home