Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Pass-along card at laundromat. Tue, Mar 9, 2010.

03/09/2010. 1236. I was at a laundromat, not one of the ones I normally go to, but one within convenient driving range.

A man folding laundry next to me had a certain spiritual radiation, such that I assumed him to be a believer in God. I was considering striking up a conversation, and the Spirit seemed to strongly indicate that I should. So before I finished my folding, I struck up a conversation by asking him what church he went to. He said that he didn't go to church, but that the teenager with him (who I assumed was his daughter) did go. I wasn't prepared for that answer, so I didn't have a ready response. After a brief pause, I said "Well, you're welcome to come visit my church." He asked which one, and I said the name of the church, and the approximate address (cross streets).

I asked which one she went to, and he mentioned one not far from my ward's building.

That was about the extent of the conversation, but then before leaving, I felt inspired (strongly prompted of the Spirit) to offer him something. So I asked if I could give him a card with the church's phone number and web site on it. He said okay in a manner that let me know he was not put off at all by my offer. I gave him one of these.

Update: This is actually a new dynamic, or new approach for me. I think I was "taught from on high" in this. This new conversation starter: A) ask what church someone goes to, B) wait for a response, C) if they say they don't attend church, say that they are welcome to attend yours, D) wait for a response, E) if they ask what church you go to tell them, F) ask if you can give them something with the church's information on it.

The card I gave had the church's toll-free Book of Mormon number on it, and the church web site, but I didn't realize until later that it needed my ward's chapel address on it. I should have written the chapel address on it in case he wanted to just show up. After all, I did invite him.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 3/09/2010 10:35:00 PM, Blogger Kelsey said...

I have used your "tactics" a few times lately. So thanks for the ideas. My neighbor has a foreign exchange student from Romania, and for Christmas I gave her a copy of the Book of Mormon in both English and Romanian. I hope she takes them both home at the end of the school year and shares them with her family.I of course wrote my testimony in the front of both, as well. If nothing else, it will be a great souvenir from America!! ;)

 
At 3/10/2010 10:32:00 AM, Blogger Bookslinger said...

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you! Both for sharing the Book of Mormon in a foreign language, and for letting me know. That's exactly why I do this blog, in hopes that others will find some use for these ideas and replicate them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home