Friday, May 09, 2008

Chinese declined at restaurant. Fri, May 9, 2008

05/09/2008. 1019. I was driving through a town adjacent to Indianapolis around supper-time and stopped at a Chinese restaurant that I hadn't been to before.

I ordered, sat down, and placed the normal stuff on the table: both kinds of Chinese Book of Mormon (traditional script and simplified script), an English Book of Mormon, two DVDs (Together Forever, and Finding Happiness), and Chinese and English copies of the Liahona magazine.

The cook brought out my meal but didn't seem to notice the material. They were rather busy, so I didn't engage him in conversation other than a quick "thank- you."

I read the English Liahona, and eventually went back to the counter to buy another soda. I took the three copies of the Book of Mormon with me, and asked the cashier if she like to read Chinese. She said yes. I showed the books to the her, and offered them to her, mentioning that they were from my church, and were free. But after reading the cover, she said something like "We're different." I took it to mean different religion. Her body-English was polite but firm in declining to receive them. I didn't go into the bi-lingual aspect though, and I don't think I took the DVDs to the counter either. She seemed rather busy, taking orders over the phone, working back in the kitchen, and preparing to-go orders, so I didn't go back to her to present the DVDs. (Oftentimes, they accept a DVD or two if they turn down the books, since it's easier to watch TV than read a book, and many restaurants have a TV/DVD combo going while they work.)

I think it would still be worth while going back to present the DVDs.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 5/12/2008 09:13:00 PM, Blogger Wookface said...

Your missionary efforts are inspiring. It makes me want to share the gospel with others as well. Thanks for your great example and keep on keepin' on!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home