Wednesday, October 24, 2007

French and Wolof at gas station. Wed, Oct 24, 2007.

10/24/2007. 907. (The lesson continues.) I was on the far side of town near where I used to live. I had given a hitch-hiker/beggar a ride across town to his mother's apartment. (The lady who answered the door did indeed say he was her son.)

After dropping him off, I stopped at a Mexican bakery, and when I was short about 30 cents, they let it slide, and I gave them a couple of church DVDs with Spanish Audio tracks.

I then stopped at an ATM on my way home, and stopped at another Mexican store for some water. As I left, I felt impressed to go in a direction that was slightly out of my way. I had stopped at most gas stations along that little detour route, so I wondered what as going to happen.

As I approached a certain gas station where I had given out material before, I felt inspired to stop there again. The cashier spoke with an accent, so I struck up a conversation with him. He was from Senegal and spoke English, French, and Wolof. He was not the same cashier to whom I had previously given material. He was ecstatic that I had something in Wolof to give him. And he did not mind at all that it was Christian material, even though he was Muslim.

I offered, and he accepted Wolof and English copies of Gospel Fundamentals, and French and English copies of the Book of Mormon. Another customer got in line right after I presented them, so we didn't have time to chat more.

This encounter really drove home the point that I should not have felt bad about the hitch-hiker/beggar being manipulative. It was because I followed the impression to be of service to him, that I was put in place to make contacts and give out materials to the others. Another reason to withhold judgement of the hitch-hiker's behavior is that I believe I was more-or-less told by the Spirit to be of service to him. If God deemed him worthy of that service, then I have no right to complain.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home