Friday, August 03, 2007

French, Wolof at gas station. Fri, Aug 3, 2007.

08/03/2007. 858. I stopped by the gas station I was at on Wednesday to drop off the Ewe(pronounced "EH-veh") translation of the Joseph Smith Testimony pamphlet. The man wasn't there, but he had said I could leave it with another employee to give to him.

The cashier on duty said she'd give it to him, and she spoke with a beautiful accent, so I asked if she spoke French also. She did, and when I asked where she was from, she said Senegal. I asked (in French) if she spoke Wolof, and she said yes. I said (in Wolof) that I only speak a little Wolof. She got a real kick out of that, and said I was the first white person she's ever met in the US who spoke Wolof. That really made her day.

That's about all the Wolof and French I know, so I switched back to English, and offered her a free copy of our church's Sunday School manual (Gospel Fundamentals) in Wolof. She agreed to see it, so I went back to my car and got out a Wolof Gospel Fundamentals, English Gospel Fundamentals, French Book of Mormon, English Book of Mormon, and a couple of DVDs with French audio tracks "Together Forever" and "Introduction to the Church."

She accepted it all, and we continued to chit-chat with another customer, who was a friend of hers joining in the conversaion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home