Friday, January 26, 2007

Fortuitous follow-up, Cambodian. Fri, Jan 26, 2007.

01/26/2007. Tonight, I met the older brother of a young lady I met on July 3, 2006. I was at a grocery store, a well-known local chain, that I haven't been to in a long time, near my new home.

One of the employees who was bagging groceries looked Asian. I took my groceries out to the car, and came back in to buy a newspaper and try to meet him.

When I got back in, he was working in a different area up front near the check out lanes, but wasn't busy, and was approachable. I asked what languages he spoke, and he said a little Cambodian, but he didn't read it. I asked if he knew the young lady that worked at a certain gas station/convenience store, and he said she was his sister.

I asked about the Books of Mormon and magazines I gave her, and he said he had seen his parents reading them a few times. Cool!

I offered him another magazine for his parents, and he agreed to give it to him. I went back out to the car and got another Cambodian Liahona, and a copy of Finding Faith in Christ DVD.

I thought the DVD had a Cambodian track, but after getting home and looking it up on the web, I see that it was Thai instead of Cambodian. Thai writing is similar to Cambodian to my untrained eye. Unfortunately, the DVD case does not list the languages in English, only in the target language. So unless you know how to read the Thai on the case, you wouldn't know that the DVD has a Thai track.

Anyway, I presented the material, and he was very grateful. But his manager/supervisor kind of looked askance at me from a distance. I hope I didn't get him in trouble.

He looked at the card inside, and then commented it was the same one in the books at his parents' home. I mentioned that the Church has more material in Cambodian, and if his parents want more, to call me and let me know.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home