Thursday, January 25, 2007

Vietnamese declined. Thu, Jan 25, 2007.

01/25/2007. 785. I had supper at a Chinese/Vietnamese restaurant that I haven't been to before. It's not far from where I now live. The restaurant's name is Vietnamese, so I assumed that the owners/operators were Vietnamese. I asked, and the cashier/waitress confirmed she was from Vietnam.

I ordered and sat down, and put out a Vietnamese Liahona and Book of Mormon, and an English Liahona and Book of Mormon. When she brought my meal I asked if she liked to read in Vietnamese, but it seemed like she didn't understand. I offered her the Vietnamese Liahona, the November 2006 issue that has a painting of Christ and a child on the front. She looked at the cover, and humbly shook her head and said "no thanks."

The food was really good, so I plan on eating there again.

I haven't had much (if any) success at placing material at Vietnamese restaurants. So I was not surprised, and only slightly disappointed, that she turned me down. The Vietnamese folks I've met at restaurants have been either Buddhist, and aren't interested in Christian material, or they've been Catholics who think Mormons aren't Christian.

But a note to anyone who wants to try this: Sisters in the church have reported to me that they have had success placing Vietnamese/English Books of Mormon at Vietnamese owned nail salons.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home