Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Moment #525. Chinese at restaurant. Wed, Feb 15, 2006.

02/15/2006. I had supper at a buffet on W XX Street. I've had lunch here before, but there was a different crew this evening. The bus-boy saw the Chinese Books of Mormon on my table when he collected my plate, but didn't say anything. The girl who brought the check noticed them too.

When I went to pay afterwards, the girl who took my check didn't seem to understand my offer. The older cashier, who spoke perfect English, accepted the English copy, but declined the Chinese, and the girl accepted the Simplified Chinese copy.

----------

Afterwards, I stopped by the apartment of one of the sets of Elders to drop off food. They requested a Tagalog Book of Mormon, so I got one from my car and gave it to them. I also gave them 2 Simplified Chinese, 2 Traditional Chinese and 2 English copies of the Book of Mormon, and told them a little about my restaurant placements. I said that if it was okay with their zone leaders, I could give them a whole bunch to give out to their zone to take with them the next time they went to Chinese restaurants.

----------

On the way home, I stopped at a Shell station looking to make an opportunity, but wasn't able to. I pumped some gas and went in to buy a newspaper, and just missed a man who was wearing African sandals.

1 Comments:

At 2/19/2006 04:26:00 PM, Blogger Stephen said...

At Stake Conference today I learned that the man who translated the Book of Mormon into Korean (as it was in 1969) was an ROK Marine.

That brought full circle something unusual. In 1969, the chaplain for the ROK Dragon Battalion assigned everyone in that battalion and in the Tiger Battalion to read the Book of Mormon.

In a very real way, the translator gave back to his own unit in a way that I think would have surprised him.

Chu felt that the men needed religious literature of some sort and the only books he could get were copies of the Book of Mormon.

But I think the translator would be pleased to know what happened.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home