Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Book of Mormon Moment #390. Igbo. Wed, Aug 10, 2005

08/10/2005. Ibgo/English outside of bank.

There was an African-looking man speaking a foreign language on his cell phone on the front porch of the bank. As I did my transaction at the ATM, he went inside, and then I went inside to do another transaction with a teller. I was finished with my business first, so I went out and waited in my car. The man came out and headed towards his car. I approached him and said our church has books in African languages, and I would like to give him one free. He asked "which languages?" and I started to name a few. He showed interest and said he spoke Igbo. He followed me back to my car. I got out what I thought was an Igbo Bible, but I had it labeled it wrong, and he pointed out that it was Yoruba. I then gave him an Igbo and English Book of Mormon.

He volunteered that he was looking for a church to go to. And I invited him, and he said he'd go Sunday. He asked if there were any other Africans at our church, and I told him about a brother from South Africa in Zionsville, and another Igbo speaking Nigerian member, but the latter had moved, and I didn't know where he was. He said he's been in the country for 11 months, and is waiting on his paperwork in order to get a job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home