Monday, June 19, 2006

Moment #611. French/Wolof at gas station. Mon, Jun 19, 2006.

06/19/2006. I needed gasoline so I stopped at a gas station on the way to my next destination. This was a brand that I know hires a lot of immigrants. After pumping the gas, I saw the cashier through the window and saw that he might be an immigrant. I went inside and bought a newspaper, which I needed anyway. I didn't remember if I saw this guy at another station or not, so I asked if he used to work at a certain other station. He did, but we hadn't met. His name was familiar because another cashier had mentioned him back then.

He was from Senegal and spoke French and Wolof. He let me practice a few words in Wolof and he could understand me. He was tickled that someone was trying to speak his home language. I offered church books in French and Wolof and he was eager to see them. So I brought in French and English copies of the Book of Mormon, and Wolof and English copies of Gospel Fundamentals. I pointed out my business card and the info-flyer in them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home