Thursday, May 04, 2006

Moment #568. French-Haitian Creole at store. Thu, May 4, 2006.


05/04/2006. I went to a nearby store to use a gift card that came as a rebate on a previous item I purchased there. My cashier spoke fluent English, but with an accent. After I paid, I said "I don't recognize your accent. Where are you from?"

He said he was from New York City, but originally from the Caribbean. He was from Haiti, and spoke French and Haitian Creole. I said I had the Book of Mormon in French and Haitian Creole in my car, and asked if I could give them to him. He said sure.

I went out and retrieved them, plus an English copy, and an issue of the French Liahona. He was helping someone else by the time I got back in, but he accepted the books graciously. I'm afraid I did interrupt him and his customers in line for about 6 to 10 seconds.

The store is very close so I hope to go back and follow up. Some of my neighbors are also from Haiti and speak both French and Haitian Creole.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home