Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Amharic at gas station. Tue, Mar 17, 2009.

03/17/2009. 1124. I was at a gas station getting gas on my way to do some work at the storehouse. Just as I was about to get back in my car, a man walking back to his car from the storefront noticed a version of the Ethiopian flag on the front license plate on my car.

Indiana does not require a state-issued front license plate. And when I came across that license plate at a store, I thought it would look cool on my car. This older version of the Ethiopian flag has the "Lion of Judah" on it, and according to Wikipedia, it remains popular with the Rastafari movement and people loyal to Haile Selassie.

I put it on the car for two reasons. One, I like the "Lion of Judah", because I'm of the tribe of Judah. The second reason is that I was hoping for contact with Ethiopians who would recognize it.

Anyway, this guy, who looked caucasian, asked me if I was from or had been in Ethipia. I replied no, I just liked the Lion of Judah on it. He said that he had a friend from Ethiopia. I asked him if his friend might be interested in a free book from my church in Amharic. I said it was religious matieral. He said yes. So I went to the trunk of my car, and pulled out an Amharic Book of Mormon and gave it to him. He politely accepted it. I pointed out there were toll-free numbers in there if his friend wanted more copies or wanted an English copy to go with it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home