Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Amharic at Post Office. Wed, Dec 27, 2006.

12/27/2006. 774. I stopped to check my mail at the Post Office. When I entered the front lobby, I noticed an Ethiopian-looking man, and I wondered how best to approach him. When I came back from retrieving my mail from my box and was about to exit the front door, he was exiting immediately ahead of me. There was no shuffling or arranging to make that happen, it just naturally happened. After we both got outside, it was very easy to just ask "Excuse me, do you speak any languages besides English?".

He said Amharic, that he was from Ethiopia. I asked if he had seen the Book of Mormon in Amharic, and he said no. I explained it was from my church, said the full name of the church, said it was free, and that I had a copy in my car, and offered it to him.

He agreed to see it, and came over, but stayed at the front of my car while I went to the trunk. (I need to remember to remind people to wait while I retrieve it, as I don't want them to think I'm "luring" them to my car.) After I got it out, he came around to the trunk, and gratefully accepted it.

He "softly" declined the English copy. I probably could have been a little bolder in pushing the English on him, but I didn't. He probably would have accepted it though. He was in a hurry, so I didn't make small talk, other than to say that my name was in it, and to call him if he'd like more information.

It's been 7 days since my last book placement, and it feels good to get back in the swing of things. I stayed at home with a cold last Thurs/Friday, and Sunday/Monday. I did go out for a little bit on Saturday and Tuesday, but was grumpy and achey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home