Monday, October 04, 2004

Moment #61. Swahili at oil change store. Oct. 4, 2004.

10/4/2004. I took the Books of Mormon out of my car trunk, leaving just a few English and Spanish in the back seat. I was planning on taking the car in for tire repair, and needed to have the spare tire well in the trunk accessible to the mechanic.

I didn't have time for the tire repair, but was able to stop at a place next door to where I live for a needed oil change.

There was another man in the waiting room, who sounded like he was from India.

I asked him what languages he spoke. He said Swahili, and an Indian dialect that I hadn't heard of. He said he was from East Africa, but was Indian. He also spoke Hindi.

He asked why I asked, and asked if I were a linguist. I said that I liked to collect the Book of Mormon in foreign languages. By this time I had brain fade and forgot I had removed the Books of Mormon from my trunk. I told him I had a copy of Book of Mormon in Swahili in my car, and offered to show it to him. He said sure.

I walked over to my car while they were changing the oil, and discovered I had removed the books. I came back and admitted my error, and said I could walk over to my apartment and get him one, and I gave him my business card. I also offered to deliver one to him if he wanted to call me with his address.

Anyway, we made small talk, and it seemed my car was going to be ready before his, so I offered to retrieve a copy from home, and bring it back if he would wait in the parking lot. He agreed. I drove home, retrieved Swahili, English, and Hindi copies, and came back. Just as I got out of my car, he was driving off, but just went to the gas station next door.

I walked over to the gas station, and offered him the three books. He declined the Hindi copy, but accepted the Swahili and English copies.

This encounter links to Moment #73 on October 14th.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home