Sunday, October 23, 2011

Ndebele to recent convert. Sun, Oct 23, 2011.

10/23/2011. Journal entry. Our ward had a convert get baptized a couple months ago. I hadn't heard her speak, so I didn't realize she was from Africa. Our ward's missionaries knew where she was from, but didn't know the exact dialect she spoke. This past week they found out she spoke Ndbebele, so I took an Ndebele copy of Gospel Fundamentals to church and presented it to her. She was pretty exited to receive it.

I just found out from Wikipedia that there are two different languages called Ndebele, and they aren't directly related. I'm not sure which one she speaks, though I can deduce it from the information on Wikipedia, and from some information that she gave me. And I'm not sure which one was used for the church's Ndebele Gospel Fundamentals.

(Update: I spoke with our ward's full-time missionaries on 10/26/2011, and they confirmed the church's Ndebele Gospel Fundamentals is written in her Ndebele. They said she read some of it to them at a recent meeting.)

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 10/24/2011 11:23:00 AM, Blogger elliott said...

There's a brother in the Carmel Ward whom I believe speaks the same language. He's from Zimbabwe.

 
At 10/24/2011 06:46:00 PM, Blogger Bookslinger said...

Yes. I've met him. Initials E. N. ? I gave him his first non-English BoM and Gospel Fundamentals too. The missionaries who taught/baptized him never thought to explore the native language avenue, so he was quite pleasantly surprised to find out about various church publications in African languages.

Our recent convert and E already knew each other since before she investigated. But he wasn't the one who first introduced her to the church. I haven't heard her whole conversion story yet. Hopefully, she'll give a sacrament talk soon.

 
At 11/03/2011 12:06:00 AM, Blogger bkbsmiles said...

How wonderful that she was able to receive the literature in her own language!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home